Ferdinand has lately suffered a dip of form, probably because of recurrent injury problems. The signing of Phil Jones has seen his playing time reduce even further.
Talking before United's Champions League clash against Otelul Galati, Ferguson explained the situation to the media.
"I explained to Rio that, simply, we have two young centre halves coming through."
"I'm really happy to have the four of them and I hope to keep the four of them for a long time, but Rio is obviously 33 now and he's obviously lost the yard of pace he had five years ago."
"That doesn't mean to say he can't play the game in a different way - where he used to rely on his place he doesn't do that now, he can't do that now. That's obvious," Ferguson added.
"We've all faced that decisive moment in our careers where you realise you have to change your game. I did it myself as a player when I lost that real sharpness, and Rio will do the same and he'll be fine."
Skip to content
Premier LeagueLa Liga
All the latest news from the Premier League.La Liga
All the very latest from the Spanish La Liga.Serie A
All the very latest from the Italian Serie A.
Follow our live football score service.League Tables
League tables from across Europe.Fixtures
All of today's football fixtures.
Other things to do at eyefootball.com
- Football Accumulator - win money with eyefootball.com
- Football Polls - vote on our weekly polls
- Football Quiz - can you top our football quiz tables?
- Football Scout - who is the next big thing?
- Football Transfer Centre - keep an eye on all the football transfer moves here
- eyefootball member blogs - your thoughts and opinions
- eyefootball blog - stay connected to the team at eyefootball.com
- contact eyefootball - get in touch with the team with any queries you may have
- Google+ - find us on Google plus