Hughes signed for Manchester City yesterday night after a long week of negotiations. Blackburn was reluctant to allow him open talks with City.
Thaksin Shinawatra has commented on Hughes and newly appointed executive chairman Gary Cook.
"Together they will make a great team. They will both prove to be excellent acquisitions, I'm sure."
He said that it was Cook who pinpointed Hughes to be the new City boss.
"Mark was always the first choice of our new executive chairman, Garry Cook.
"He's an outstanding manager who has achieved many things with Blackburn.
Thaksin said that Manchester City are set to enter a new era and he believes the supporters will share the same passion that he has.
The ex-City boss, Sven-Goran Eriksson was a fan favourite and Thaksin compared his act of sacking him as "ruthless" though for the good of the club.
"These are exciting times for Manchester City and I hope the supporters can understand that I share their goals."
"That sometimes means making ruthless decisions. Now we can go forward to a new era, with a new management structure and great hope and ambition."
Skip to content
Premier LeagueLa Liga
All the latest news from the Premier League.La Liga
All the very latest from the Spanish La Liga.Serie A
All the very latest from the Italian Serie A.
Follow our live football score service.League Tables
League tables from across Europe.Fixtures
All of today's football fixtures.
Other things to do at eyefootball.com
- Football Accumulator - win money with eyefootball.com
- Football Polls - vote on our weekly polls
- Football Quiz - can you top our football quiz tables?
- Football Scout - who is the next big thing?
- Football Transfer Centre - keep an eye on all the football transfer moves here
- eyefootball member blogs - your thoughts and opinions
- eyefootball blog - stay connected to the team at eyefootball.com
- contact eyefootball - get in touch with the team with any queries you may have
- Google+ - find us on Google plus