Football News

Pompey: no Sol bust up


Pompey: no Sol bust up

Football Transfer Centre

Portsmouth have denied rumours that the club and Sol Campbell have fallen out. Campbell reportedly walked out on the club and in his anguish demanded that he be allowed to join Newcastle.

Campbell, 33, had a public bust-up with chief executive Peter Storrie earlier this week and did not feature in the 3-1 win against Derby on Saturday.

But the club last night insisted Campbell’s absence was down to a back injury.

A Portsmouth spokesman said: “It’s quite simple. Sol had a back problem and he’s been having treatment on it all week. We hoped he would be fit but he couldn’t make it. I spoke to Peter Storrie about it and he laughed and said it was rubbish.”