Football News

News » Premier League news » Everton news

Everton still paying 90 percent of former employees salary

Ronald Koeman news

Koeman was unable to meet the expectations of Everton's owners

When Ronald Koeman was appointed as manager of Everton, with The Toffees spending huge sums of money, a new era of success was anticipated at Goodison Park. However, after struggling to get his new players to gel together as a team and their position in the Premier League deteriorating, Koeman was dismissed from his role. Whilst he no longer works for the club, it has been reported today that Koeman, now the manager of Holland, is still receiving 90 percent of his wage from the Premier League club. 

When Koeman joined Everton in June 2016, he signed on a three-year deal worth in the region of £6 million per year. After just four months in the dugout, Koeman was shown the exit, before being appointed as Holland's national team coach in February. 

It has recently been revealed that the former Ajax, Benfica and Valencia manager is now earning 10 percent of the wage in his new role compared to his former position, with the other 90 percent being made up by Everton, something that was agreed as part of his dismissal. 

This is not the first instance of Everton's decision to sack their manager costing them substantial amounts of money. Roberto Martinez, who was removed from Goodison Park to make way for Koeman, was given a payoff of around £10 million as a result of his early dismissal. 

Sam Allardyce was the man appointed to redeem Everton's season following Koeman's exit, however, it is widely expected that there will be yet another new manager in charge in the blue half of Merseyside when the new season begins.