Football News

Barton last minute hero

Barton last minute hero

Joey Barton was the hero as Newcastle rescued three important points against Fulham in the last minute. Elliot Omozusi was penalised for bringing down Alan Smith in the box, and up stepped Joey Barton to dispatch the ball home.

Fulham's first notable move came in the 12th minute when Toon keeper Shay Given was forced into a save by an angular long-ranger from David Healy.

Few minutes later, superb wing play from James Milner saw the England U-21 international sending a cross to Joey Barton, whose header from the six-yard box however was fumbled by Fulham keeper Antti Niemi.

However, Steven Davis cleared the ball to safety before Barton could punish the goalkeeper’s error.

Fulham’s Hameur Bouazza and Clint Dempsey tried their luck from long range but their respective shots were wide of the target.

In the 37th minute, Toon left-back Charles N'Zogbia’s in-swinging free-kick from right side sailed across the face of the rival goal with David Rozehnal unable to get a headed connection from the box.

The home side did well to thwart the speedy Obafemi Martins towards the closing stages.

Lawrie Sanchez’s side had a great chance to begin the second half on a resounding fashion as Bouazza belted in an accurate low cross and Dempsey penetrating the Toon backline, only had to make some sort of connection from a point-blank range but couldn’t do so.

The Londoners kept the pressure on the Magpies, showing more urgency in their play and Habib Beye bailed the Toon out, averting the danger off a Simon Davies cross.

Dejan Stefanovic header off a Bouazza cross following a corner-kick, lacked power and Given made an easy collection in the 55th minute.

The Magpies could have been punished for the mis-judgement from defence but Healy’s low shot from the edge of the penalty area was straight at Given.

The proceedings livened up at the hour-mark as the visitors stormed forward with substitute Emre orchestrating a move and Martins with his pace trying to make something happen for the Magpies, who otherwise had been kept under pressure in the first 15 minutes of the second half.

Emre’s free-kick in the 66th minute picked out Nicky Butt but the former England midfielder’s header was too weak to beat Niemi.

Fulham kept the rivals pinned to their own half and substitute Kuqi saw his shot bring a save from Given.

At the other end, a goal-mouth melee saw the ball sail across the face of the goal as Rozehnal tried to find substitute Mark Viduka in the six-yard box after a free-kick.

With six minutes remaining for the final whistle, Barton got his shot on target with great technique but Niemi made a regulation save. But there was late drama as referee Howard Webb pointed to the spot as 19-year-old Omozusi tripped Smith in the penalty area, and Barton scored with his low penalty-kick to bring up his first goal in the Premiership for the Magpies.